Thursday, June 26, 2014

Resolution 9

Resolution Nine: Resolved, to think much on all occasions of my own dying, and of the common circumstances which attend death.



While Jonathan Edwards was still a young man, he penned a series of "resolutions" for his life. These resolutions would shape the trajectory of his coming years and the godly character he became known for. While Edwards grew frustrated at times with his failure to keep his resolutions, they demonstrated the fervency with which he lived his Christian life. 

Recently, I was preparing to preach a sermon on John the Baptist's death in Mark 6:14-29. I came across by Edwards' ninth resolution and was struck by it again. Listen to this, "Resolved, to think much on all occasions of my own dying, and of the common circumstances which attend death." 

Society today would say that is a morbid statement. But Edwards did not focus on death for the sake of death itself. His goal in meditating on his demise was to spur himself on to greater holiness and Christ-likeness. 

Edwards meditated on his own demise to spur himself on to greater holiness and Christ-likeness.


Each Thursday, I will be posting a Resolution 9 segment on the blog. My goal is to offer the sober reminder that death is coming for all men and that all men of God should look to their future demise with the resolve to honor Christ today. 

I close with Paul's words. Words that fit Resolution 9. 

"For me, living is Christ  and dying is gain."

"Just one thing: Live your life  in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ."

Philippians 1:21, 27

No comments: